- The dope testing lab in India was established with an aim to get permanently accredited by International Olympic Committee (IOC) and World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) to do the testing for the banned drugs in human sports.
- The Lab has successfully completed sample testing for numerous major International as well National events since its inception.
- The lab was earlier located in the JN Stadium and is shifted to the new site on May 14,09 with better facilities .The area of the new NDTL lab is 2700 sq meter as against the earlier area of only 900 square meters. It has the excellent facilities for increasing the testing capacity of the lab to 5000 samples and for the testing of Common Wealth Games 2010.
- The dope testing Lab in India was established in 1990 (as Dope control Centre under Sports Authority of India). The lab was modernized in 2002 with an aim to get it permanently accredited by International Olympic Commission and WADA.
- The lab got ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation in 2003 which was the eligibility criteria for applying for WADA accreditation.
- Since Sports Authority of India is responsible for training of elite athletes, hence in view of conflict of interest, a decision was taken to have the independent body responsible for managing the Anti Doping Program in the country.
- The Union Cabinet took a decision to sign Copenhagen declaration on anti doping and to set up National Anti Doping Agency in December 2004.
- National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) responsible for education, test planning, result management & implementation of Anti-Doping Code of WADA was registered in 2007.
- National Dope Testing Laboratory (NDTL) responsible for analytical testing of samples and research in the field of dope analysis was registered in 2008.
- The NADA is headed by the Director General and NDTL is headed by Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is Secretary (Sports).
- The first meeting of General Body/Governing Body of NDTL was held under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Minister YA&S on 5th Jan. 2009. The recruitment rules, tariff for dope testing, Action plan for CWG 2010 was duly approved by the Governing Body.
- NDTL shifted to the new site in May 2009 which has area of the 2700 sq meter. It has excellent facilities for increasing the testing capacity of the lab and for the Commonwealth Games 2010.
- Website of NDTL was successfully launched in the month of January 2010. (www.ndtlindia.com).
- NDTL has state of the art facilities for research and is engaged in conducting research on various projects.
- NDTL has achieved NABL accreditation for its horse dope testing facility in April 2014 and routine testing of samples from Hyderabad Race Club started from July, 2014.
- NDTL got accreditation as PT Provider (ISO/IEC 17043:2010) in the field of Drugs.
- WAADS Executive board member: Dr. Alka Beotra, Scientific Director got nominated on WAADS Executive board from March 2015 to 2018.